Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Native American Dance 7/10/2013

I had the wonderful privilege of taking part in a Native American dance in Holbrook, Arizona. The Navajo Indians of the White Mountain Apache Tribe held a 90-minute performance for visitors to share their heritage with the public. The Native American dances included children and adults of all ages. One of the mothers told me that the tribe wanted to encourage the younger generations to embrace their culture and share it with others so that it is not forgotten. Logan and I also had the opportunity to take part in the Native American Circle of Friendship dance with the tribe and other members of the audience...it was an amazing cultural experience that I will remember for the rest of my life! After the festivities, I was told I needed to try a Navajo taco for dinner, so I did, and it was huge -- a thick flour tortilla, called Indian fry bread, is covered with layers of seasoned ground beef, refried beans, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, hot sauce, sour cream, and cheese -- absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment