Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Elvis on Route 66

Not only did I find Elvis in the town of Seligman, Arizona...I also found my friends from Sweden, Per and Annelie! Seligman is credited with the revitalization of Route 66 back in 1987. That's when Angel Delgadillo helped create the Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona, which is a non-profit, all-volunteer organization dedicated to the preservation, protection, and promotion of Arizona's portion of Route 66. Angel opened what's believed to be the first Route 66 gift shop of that rebirth of Route 66 next to his barber shop. I met his daughter, Mirna, who runs the gift shop... she told me her father was interviewed extensively by the creators of the Cars movie, and that Seligman was the inspiration for the town, Radiator Springs, in the film. Unfortunately, I was not able to meet Angel, who is now 88, on my visit because he was taking a nap from his barber shop duties (yes, he still cuts hair! ), but I took a picture inside the gift shop with Mirna. One of the promotions the Route 66 Association has been pushing over the past several years is the Route 66 passport that lists all of the cities along that stretch of highway in Arizona...10 of the cities are listed, in which travelers can stop in at the visitors centers and get their passports stamped, and if you get at least 7 stamps, you will get a certificate that shows you completed the journey along that stretch of Route 66. I am proud to say that I got all 10 stamps and received my Route 66 certificate!

No comments:

Post a Comment