Thursday, July 4, 2013

Chain of Rocks Bridge 7/4/2013

I drove off the beaten path today on a Route 66 Spur that took me over a one lane bridge to Chouteau Island in Madison, Illinois and lead me to the Chain of Rocks Bridge. Route 66 used to cross over the Chain of Rocks Bridge from Illinois to Missouri, but that part of the highway was eventually replaced by the much larger Interstate 270 bridge which crosses the Mississippi River. You can actually see the traffic on the I-270 bridge -- can you spot the orange semi-truck behind me? The cool part about it is that the mile-long Chain of Rocks Bridge was renovated and is now used as a hiking and biking trail. Logan loved running on the bridge, and it is completely railed off so it is safe for kids to play on. I also met Per and Annelie from Sweden, and they are also doing the Route 66 trek from Chicago to L.A. Adding to the international travelers coming to the U.S. to experience Route 66, I also ran into a family from Sweden who were taking a walk on the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment