Sunday, July 7, 2013

Exactly Halfway There! 7/7/2013

I can't believe I've already driven halfway across the country on Route 66! And what better way to celebrate that accomplishment than by stopping at the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian, Texas. Not counting miles I've driven on detours, explored area attractions, and stopped for gas, I have traveled 1139 miles to the midpoint of the Mother Road, and I now have 1139 miles to go! I took a picture at the midpoint sign to put it in my scrapbook. I also got a little history lesson from the owner of the Midpoint Cafe, Dennis Purschwitz. He told me that Flo's V8 Cafe in the movie Cars is based on the Midpoint Cafe, and that Flo in the movie is based on the previous owner, Fran Houser. Another interesting tidbit he told me about is that the Mazda Miata Twins in Cars -- Mia and Tia -- were based on two former waitresses who worked at the Midpoint Cafe -- Marilu and Cristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment